On 12/7/2013 2:18 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
I've got a system I'm in charge of that uses a standard init script. i.e.
/etc/init.d/mydeamon start

The problem is the daemon can randomly crash and because it's a signed
binary I can't just fix the problem and recompile.

The thing MUST stay running.  I was thinking about using a Nagios solution
but that seems like overkill.

Is there someway to check if the process is running with cron?  I was
thinking I could just do a restart once an hour, but it seems there should
just be a way to check the pid to see if it's running instead of a full
restart.

You should use supervisor.

http://supervisord.org/

-Tod Hansmann