On December 16, 2013, Lonnie Olson wrote:

> In my opinion, using Mint for a server is like using Windows XP as a

> server. Sure it's possible, by kind of silly.

Yea, that is kind of silly. :)

> Recommended server distros (in semi-random order):

> Ubuntu

No thanks. Especially after all that people have been talking about the
changes Canonical has been making, I'm out on Ubuntu.

> CentOS

That's based on RHEL, right? Possibility I suppose. Still gives some
unneeded packages, but it has merit I'll admit

> Debian

Nope. Nothing against Debian itself, but I just was never comfortable
working in a pure Debian environment. It just doesn't work for me. Pure
personal preference on that one, but since I'd be the one maintaining the
server I have to feel comfortable in the environment. :)

> Gentoo

> Arch

> Fedora

Gentoo is looking more and more like the candidate. But we'll see. Arch has
some potential, also. Fedora, again, seems to be more of a
workstation-centric distribution (same as M$ intended WinXP to be). Granted
that it can be used as a server, but why when there are more server-centric
distros out there?

And speaking of distros, while I was glancing at the ZFS on Linux web site
I noticed they had install instructions for "Funtoo". What the heck is
that? I've never heard of it. It is some spinoff of Gentoo, like CentOS is
from RHEL or like Ubuntu started as a derivative of Debian? I'm a bit
surprised. I'd heard of every distribution on the main page EXCEPT
"Funtoo". :)

--- Dan