On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Levi Pearson <levipear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is helping someone further along the wrong path
> really helpful?

It sounded to me like he was experimenting, which is great. I don't feel
like that's a wrong path. The collision attacks I've studied all were
discovered through iterations of analysis and experimentation.

Let me reiterate, lest I seem discouraging towards people who are
> earnestly trying to feel their way around a very interesting problem
> they don't quite know the right questions to ask about yet. There was
> nothing wrong with asking the original question; it's very common to
> not even know the right way to explore unfamiliar terrain, and it's an
> inescapable part of being a novice at something you're trying to learn
> on your own. Many of the answers were given with good intentions and
> probably a similar unfamiliarity with the surrounding problem domain.
> But the fact remains that the answers were *unhelpful* and I'm sure
> some of of the answerers would have realized this with a bit of
> thought.

I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one on this list with more than a
hobbyists knowledge of cryptography. If he simply wanted to know about the
correctness of an implementation of SHA-256 he probably could have asked
and gotten the answer. I'm not saying that anything you have said about
cryptography is wrong. I just find it ironic that you are calling everyone
out for their inability to answer the question when it seems to me like
you've tried to answer a question he never had.