Wordpress is pretty slow for a number of reasons, but some easy things you
can do to speed it up is to install a php op-code cache, and a word press
cache plugin.  I would recommend xcache http://xcache.lighttpd.net/ for the
op code cache, and probably WP-Cache for the word press cache plugin.

Other suggestions would be to use nginx for the webserver, cache the sql
queries, or move to a faster blogging platform :)

Adam