On 01/17/2014 10:53 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Unless Vagrant has got some new backend support recently, the role
> that it plays for Mac is to set up a VirtualBox or VMware Linux VM to
> run Docker on.  Docker itself already has a configuration language to
> set up custom images.  And Docker is a really slick tool, but I don't
> think it's what you're looking for.  Although it does a full Linux
> install, it doesn't actually run the full distro in most cases. The
> disk image is mostly there for the libraries and such, and the real
> point of Docker is to run sandboxed single processes (or a small group
> of processes, like nginx+node+mongodb or something) without a lot of
> overhead. Docker is like a chroot-on-steroids, not really a 'run a
> full guest OS' thing.

Yes I agree with your assessment.  I'm not looking for deploying servers
or dev environments.  Thought it appears Docker still might be the tool
to set up the initial containers, the I can tweak them.

> The userspace tools that come with LXC, on the other hand, are set up
> to run the init process of the installed image and give you a whole
> sandboxed environment. They come with some scripts to install various
> distros, but unless there's been a lot of work on them recently, they
> don't work very well outside of Debian or Ubuntu images, or really
> really old Fedora. There were some issues with systemd as the init
> process of a container; I think the systemd guys worked through the
> issues but I'm not sure if those have made it out to the systemd-based
> distros yet.
>
> Anyway, it sounds like the sharing of graphical resources with a
> container is possible, and you can probably set it up with the lxc
> configuration tools, but I don't think it's a well-supported use case
> right now.  It would be pretty cool, though, so definitely report back
> if you're successful.

Thanks, I definitely will.  In the meantime, here's a post that
describes doing more or less what I want.  He basically has each
container on a different vt (X11) and can ctrl-alt-F# between them!
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27397563

And also this is interesting (and might be of interest to some of you):
http://www.stgraber.org/2012/11/16/running-steam-in-a-lxc-container/.
In fact it might be the main recipe I will want to use.