Most of the people I've seen using rails in the past are moving to node or
scala because of scalability issues where rails just couldn't handle the
load.
That's not an endorsement and is literally just andecdotal since I've never
seen anything myself that ruby couldn't handle.
But still I figured I'd put it out there.  This article is a rather
interesting read.
http://www.infoworld.com/t/javascript/nodejs-keeps-stealing-rails-thunder-232281