The term Hadoop is pretty broad.  There is the Hadoop project itself and an
entire ecosystem around it.
The ecosystem ecompasses many moving parts and bits and pieces.

Your question is almost like asking if someone has experience with software
development. (What language and making it do what are very important
questions to ask in finding the right person).

What specific part(s) are/is he trying to use, or better yet what is he
trying to accomplish with Hadoop?
Or just give him my email addy.  I work with quite a bit, and am a member
of several Big Data mailing lists and might be able to find him a good
match.