On 3/18/14 8:43 PM, Grant Shipley wrote:
Just to clarify my last statement as I don't know if you aware that
database have spatial capabilities by default.  In fact, I just finished
writing a chapter for an upcoming book that includes an example of pretty
much what you are trying to do using mongodb 2.4 by enabling a 2d spacial
index.  I can send you the relevant parts of the chapter if you want to
review the code that is written in Java EE you can check it out on github
at github.com/gshipley/mlbparks

PostgreSQL and MySQL both have native geospatial types and indexes, although MySQL's support is less complete in all but the latest versions.

Steve