I think I'm getting the hang of this:

* Glue Records register you with [a-m].gtld-servers.net
  * ns1.example-dns-server.com -> 127.0.0.1

* Nameserver records for a .com should point to a .com Glue Record
  * example-domain.com -> [ns1-ns4].example-dns-server.com
  * example-domain.org -> [ns1-ns4].example-dns-server.org
  * example-domain.jp -> [ns1-ns4].example-dns-server.jp

* DNS Records are the day to day records
  * www.example.com -> 127.0.0.1
  * example.com -> 127.0.0.1

If all of that is in order, than you get fast, simple lookups like this:
http://dns.squish.net/traverses/08279c57ce69f73e711d569d9296ba80/detail (
google.com)

If it isn't you might get slow, convoluted lookups.

A global CDN (like Akamai) will look like this:
http://dns.squish.net/traverses/3439ce0d2e2ae86b303b5b9dc2bf9197/detail (
name.com)
(which seems slow in that tool, but is probably very fast for
region-specific routed queries)
(in any case, it is a little convoluted in that it needs to go to the root
more than once)

I am currently set up to use ns1.redirect-www.org, but since most of my
dynamic domains re .com domains, I should also set up a .com nameserver to
be most efficient.

In name.com I was able to find "NS Registration" which is where I was able
to set the *glue records* as
ns1.redirect-www.org -> 192.241.238.7
ns2.redirect-www.org -> 66.172.33.29

Then I changed my *nameservers* for both ns1.redirect-www.org and
coolaj86.com
ns1.name.com to ns1.redirect-www.org
ns2.name.com to ns2.redirect-www.org
ns3.name.com (deleted)
ns4.name.com (deleted)

I left the *DNS records* for [ns1-ns2].redirect-www.org in name.com's
records so that while the changes propagate they'll still be available.
I'll go back and delete those later.

I double checked that my SOA, NS, IN, and A records for [ns1-ns2].
redirect-www.org are correct.

My assumption is that my records should look pretty similar to google's for
dig google.com SOA @ns1.google.com
dig google.com NS @ns1.google.com
dig google.com IN @ns1.google.com
dig google.com A @ns1.google.com
See https://gist.github.com/coolaj86/9b46aeb3329a06f5923d

Let me know if anything here still looks wrong:

*dig coolaj86.com <http://coolaj86.com> SOA @ns1.redirect-www.org
<http://ns1.redirect-www.org>*

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> coolaj86.com SOA @ns1.redirect-www.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;coolaj86.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
coolaj86.com. 7200 IN SOA ns1.redirect-www.org. hostmaster.coolaj86.com.
2015031200 10800 3600 1209600 1800

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
coolaj86.com. 3600 IN NS ns1.redirect-www.org.
coolaj86.com. 3600 IN NS ns2.redirect-www.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.redirect-www.org. 3600 IN A 192.241.238.7
ns2.redirect-www.org. 3600 IN A 66.172.33.29

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 192.241.238.7#53(192.241.238.7)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 14:08:26 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 161

*dig coolaj86.com <http://coolaj86.com> NS @ns1.redirect-www.org
<http://ns1.redirect-www.org>*

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> coolaj86.com NS @ns1.redirect-www.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;coolaj86.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
coolaj86.com. 3600 IN NS ns1.redirect-www.org.
coolaj86.com. 3600 IN NS ns2.redirect-www.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.redirect-www.org. 3600 IN A 192.241.238.7
ns2.redirect-www.org. 3600 IN A 66.172.33.29

;; Query time: 32 msec
;; SERVER: 192.241.238.7#53(192.241.238.7)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 14:09:35 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 114

*dig coolaj86.com <http://coolaj86.com> IN @ns1.redirect-www.org
<http://ns1.redirect-www.org>*

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> coolaj86.com IN @ns1.redirect-www.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;coolaj86.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
coolaj86.com. 300 IN A 45.56.23.132

;; Query time: 122 msec
;; SERVER: 192.241.238.7#53(192.241.238.7)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 14:10:20 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

*dig coolaj86.com <http://coolaj86.com> A @ns1.redirect-www.org
<http://ns1.redirect-www.org>*

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> coolaj86.com A @ns1.redirect-www.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;coolaj86.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
coolaj86.com. 300 IN A 45.56.23.132

;; Query time: 33 msec
;; SERVER: 192.241.238.7#53(192.241.238.7)
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 16 14:10:49 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

AJ ONeal
(317) 426-6525