On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 09:00:07 PM Brian J. Rogers wrote:
> What would be the advantage of having both PLUG and BYU UUG? I'm not asking
> sarcastically, I'm genuinely curious. They seem to be geographically too
> close with not enough active members (from what I've observed) to
> necessitate two groups. Am I wrong?

UUG (and groups at other universities) can recruit new members on campus.  We
had booths every fall for recruitment.  And I'm fairly positive PLUG would not
be allowed to have a booth.  And UUG was not allowed to sponsor the SCO
protest, so it was a win-win at the time.

I'm not sure how to explain it.... the university student experience.... is
different than a local group.

I've seen Linux groups come and go at universities.  If I remember right, at
one time we had PLUG, the UUG, and a group at then UVSC.  This was all back in
the days (early to mid 2000's) of what I would call the "Linux Revolution".
Microsoft was the "evil closed-source company" that was taking over and
assimilating everyone.  Why would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?  We
were the underdogs trying to fight for our right use the source and not have to
pay the Microsoft tax on our Dell computers.  We wanted to make our voice
heard.  Many Linux fanboys were born in those days, then grew to know better.
Good times.

Now.... things are different.  Our Android phones all come with the hood welded
shut.  Go figure.