On 10/15/2015 08:53 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> XFS is the default file system in Red Hat EL 7 as it can scale beyond
> ext4 volume sizes.  I used XFS some years ago, but I found that power
> outages could sometimes corrupt files that were open.  I'm not sure if
> this is still the case with XFS, but I recommend a UPS in any case.

In the past, it was best to have a UPS.  That was long ago, and was
largely because (PATA/SATA) drives would lie about completing writes.
In which case, you disabled the write cache.  Which was also something
that should have been done if you were using any kind of software raid.

Now that we have write barriers, it's a non-issue.  Also having a
battery-backed or flash-backed write cache on your raid controller was a
non-issue (assuming your raid controller is smart enough to turn off
each drive's write cache).