My previous example is incomplete. Some examples of how to do pattern
matches combined with wildcard expansions, although still probably not a
good enough example set:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1633527/wildcard-targets-in-a-makefile

You can also ask the gnu make mailing list--they are pretty quick to
respond.