On Mon, May 22, 2017, at 01:10 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 05/22/2017 01:02 PM, Matt plug.org wrote:
> >
> > ​I haven't used that specific router before.  I'm currently using OpenWRT
> > on a cheap TP-Link 802.11n router (TL-WR841N), as an AP only​, and it's
> > been pretty solid for me.
> >
> > I've heard mixed results for both DD-WRT and Tomato, though I don't have
> > any personal experience with either.  I've seen a few mentions of LEDE
> > recently, which is a fork of OpenWRT: https://lede-project.org/, so that
> > might be worth a look.
>
> I've heard that LEDE and OpenWrt have agreed to merge back into a single
> OpenWrt project, which will be a good thing.

LEDE has it listed at [1] and [2] has the Table of Hardware some more
details including a link to the OpenWRT wiki. I've used OpenWRT for
years and has generally worked well. A few months ago, I put LEDE on a
Linksys WRT1900ACS and felt right at home with it. My current plans are
that anything I put a firmware on will use LEDE until the merge is
completed.

The two projects have definitely been working towards that goal. It
looks like the current plan is to adopt the LEDE code base with some
cherry picks of valuable things from OpenWRT as well as dropping the
LEDE name in favor of OpenWRT. The fact that the LEDE source is most
likely the future is why I'm planning on using LEDE on anything I do in
the future. The lede-adm mailing list this month has basically entirely
been about the remerge. AIUI, the OpenWRT devs have been on there as
well and [3] has some of the details.

mike

[1] https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/netgear/netgear_r7000
[2]