I'm doing this:

ssh -o ProxyCommand="openssl s_client -quiet -connect %h:443 -servername
> %h" jondoe.telebit.io

And then I run screen

screen -xRS awesome

And it just sits there and hangs.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Now I am on a Mac, connecting to a
Mac, but I could have sworn it's worked in the past.
Is there anyway I can get some debug messages or an error log from gnu
screen that anyone knows of?

I try a little differently, same thing, sits and hangs:

ssh -o ProxyCommand="openssl s_client -quiet -connect %h:443 -servername
> %h" jondoe.telebit.io -t "screen -xRS awesome"

If I do bash instead it works (I can type 'ls' and get output, for
example). If I use `-t` I get a prompt. Otherwise I don't, but in both
cases it works.

ssh -o ProxyCommand="openssl s_client -quiet -connect %h:443 -servername
> %h" jondoe.telebit.io -t "bash"

Versions:

screen -v
> Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06