On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:13 PM Michael Lovell <toelov...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> if the headaches you're running into are just firmware related, you could
> put a 3rd party firmware on your r7000. openwrt supports it. i've been
> using openwrt for several home routers on a variety of manufacturers and
> models. it work well and offers a lot of capabilities. this would probably
> be the cheapest option since you're just using gear you already have.
>
> Thanks for that reminder. I have looked into that in the past, but have
not revisited it for a while. Could be at least a stopgap until I have
decided on a different setup.

i'm guessing you mean the netgear unmanaged switches. i've used a number of
> netgear 'smart' and 'managed' switches in the past. they gave me all kinds
> of grief including causing a complete outage of a datacenter network for
> like 6 hours. would not recommend.
>
> Yes, unmanaged. I do not have any need for managed... yet :)

> separating your router from your access points is something i recommend if
> you have the budget to get multiple devices and the ability to run a cable.
> most homes have the location of the incoming internet connection in a spot
> that is not good for wifi coverage. i've used ubiquiti unifi gear in the
> past and liked them. their great access point and is likely what i'll use
> next time i need to make a change to the wifi at home. i've not used their
> routers but know a few people who have and they give high praise for them.
> supposedly you can manage the access points and their edge routers from a
> single dashboard. if you want something that 'just works,' using an
> ubiquiti router wouldn't be a bad option. that's not a big sell to me and
> my preference is pcengines apu boards running openwrt.
> http://www.mini-box.com/ALIX-boards is where i got the ones i have.
>
> I have not considered those, although I have considered a raspberry pi,
which is a similar idea, with less power. Then again, I could just build a
full system and make that the controller. So many options...