On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 3:10 PM Todd Millecam <tyg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a friend who is getting into the tech space and looking to change
> careers.  I've been teaching him programming, Linux systems, and a lot of
> other things, and he's doing quite well with it, but I thought I'd poll the
> audience on this one.
>
> What skills/attributes are you looking for in an entry-level hire?
>
> (also, if someone knows of entry-level positions open in their sphere, let
> me know off list)

IMO....  aptitude, a real interest in tech.  Things move fast and
you're always learning new things so knowing how to research X, Y, or
Z and implementing is an important skill.  Who would have guessed
google-fu would be a needed skill for someone with a college degree.
Knowledge just comes with experience if you have the
aptitude/interest/love of it.  IMO, the skills can be taught/learned
on the job if they've got "the knack."

When I used to interview, I would ask people what their home computer
setup was like, what projects they had, etc.  If they talked about a
media server or home automation or 3D printing or personal programming
projects, etc, that was a good sign to keep asking more questions.