I know you already bought a replacement, but figured I'd pitch my 2c in
case it helps anyone in the future.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:02 AM Michael Torrie <torr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The last time I bought a hard drive was nearly 8 years ago now, and my
> little storage server just had a failure so I was shopping for a couple
> of new disks for it.

Many could argue against this, but I buy used drives from TAMS Solutions
for my NAS. They're cheap, I get them today, and since they're used they're
more likely to be different levels of used so they're less likely to die
around the same time.

I've heard a lot of people really like the WD Red
> drives, which are "designed for NAS," whatever that means.

All spinning disks' RPM speeds are more-or-less "roughly" that number. So
one might be 7220 RPMs, another 7180 RPMs. WD Reds are the ones they tested
to be as close to 7200 as possible (they have a tighter window of what's OK)

I am hard pressed to find any drives that are 4 TB or larger that are 7200
> rpm.
> Seems like everything is 5400 rpm.  Does this even matter?

I'm trying to remember what I read in the past, it was either simply that
the 7200 disks would perform slower because all drives in the RAID need to
be roughly the same speed, or it could have been that there's a chance of
problems due to the RAID trying to handle different speeds. Pretty sure
it's the former. I do know my Netgear NAS will work with both, but whines
at me when I add 5400 RPM drives alongside 7200 RPM ones.

> With the bigger drive sizes are they back to using multiple platters and
> heads
> such that the seek and transfer time on a 5400 drive? is still better
> than any older 7200 rpm drive?
>
> Finally, for a desktop machine, would you go with a WD Blue drive?
> Although with the price difference of a Red drive is just a few dollars,
> would that be a good choice for a desktop computer?

For a desktop I'd go SSD hands-down. I suppose storage would be ok on
spinning platters, but if it's anything you'll access frequently SSD is
very nice and getting pretty cheap.

-Eric