Replying to self: It wasn't font rendering.

I was looking at screenshot in my browser on the 24" monitor, and it
looked terrible, and I realized that font rendering wasn't the
problem.

I tried a few things to determine if I had a hardware issue, and if
the 24" monitor is plugged in to either HDMI port, it looks ugly, but
plugged into displayport, it looks fine.  Got a new displayport cable
from the help desk, and the problem is solved.

i don't know if my HDMI cable went bad when I got the new NUC, or if
there's some subtle but infuriating interaction between the AMD card,
HDMI, and this monitor, but switching to DP fixed it.

Thanks,
Barry