> Just a post to say thanks to Michael for SlimCD - it's excellent! :)

Glad to hear this! Now there must be at least two SlimCD users :-)

> I'm looking to setup a Compaq small form factor Pentium II/400 with
> 256Mb RAM PC for my parents (possible Christmas pressie w/SB2!) and
> have so far got a working install using a USB Keyring for backing up
> the config. I backed up the config to /dev/sda1 and now SlimCD
> automagically restores the config when it boots (provided the UBS
> Keyring is inserted!)

Very interesting... I didn't even know this! I thought it was looking at
hda1 by default. There's more genius inside DSL than I knew of!

> I haven't timed it but it looks like the "boot" prompt is set to
> timeout after 300 seconds - this seems a bit excessive and may
[..]
> 15 to 30 seconds be a more reasonable boot prompt timeout?

This is something I haven't touched at all. I'll have a look at it. I'll
considerably lower it, I think. I always thought it wasn't booting
automatically at all...

> Next step is to get SAMBA up and running - since the Compaq SFF isn't
> up to the task of ripping/encoding, my parents can rip on a laptop
> they have, then dump the tracks on to the SFF. :)

Is Samba already installed on the SlimCD you have?

> Thanks for including AlienBBC - this should allow them to listen to
> the
> BBC, particularly Gaelic radio which they currently listen to on the
> computer!

I wanted to have AlienBBC as a flagship plugin. This allows for proving
that AlienBBC can run on a specific hardware.

> Any chance you can post what your plans are for 1.1? :)

Wow, you're asking questions... As if I had a development plan. I
already have a version which will automatically backup the database and
the slimserver folder itself (to prevent loss of manually installed
plugins or updated slimservers). I'm planning on creating a more
intelligent update script which will not stupidly render the
installation unusable if something is breaking.

But I have very little time to work on it as my internet access is
_very_ limited at the moment, with nothing but access to web sites (but
slimdevices.com forbidden due to its commercial, entertaining content!)
on the job and no internet at all where I'm going to spend my nights
:-/. Don't expect anything groundbreaking too soon.

--

Michael