We still don't know what the cause of the problem is.

But it seems to be something to do with a change between pre6 and pre7,
or with the way AlienBBC reacts to these.

Because absolutely consistently when using pre6 if I stopped a stream
the copies of mplayer did not get killed.

I've only just changed to pre7, and some quick checks indicate that all
works as it is supposed to.

I had delayed moving to pre7 because I had had difficulty getting
mplayer to work when I tried to upgrade. I've known for some time that
the reason is that for pre7 the cook codec needed to be in a different
place from before. I've only jusy given myself the time to make the
change.

--
danco