B*gg*r me, it actually works!

Furthermore the linkstation HG is not really sweating at all.

When receiving a BBC stream the slimserver process increases to between
30 and 45% CPU. Memory utilisation is ~30%

The mplayer process takes about 10% CPU and 3% memory.

Feeling confident I opened a second BBC stream (one via softsqueeze and
the other on a squeezebox2 and it still works fine!

I'm now completely blown away by all this - It's awesome! I've stumbled
upon the well documented 'garbled playback' issue but it looks like
there's a fix for that too which I'll sort out next...

Thanks very much to the AlienBBC/Mplayer guys.

--
PaulR