I added a new format "Artist (Album)" as per these instructions, as
I'd like to see this on the top row and have the track title on the
bottom row. However, it doesn't show up in the drop down list on the
plugins page for each player. What have I missed?

There is a problem with this, I know. Problem is that the settings are only initialized when the plugin is so. And under some other circumstances... What you could do is disable and re-enable the plugin in the plugins section to get it initialized. Or switch the language to eg. chinese and back :-). Or, worst case, restart the slimserver (shouldn't be necessary with the workarounds).

I'll have to think about a better solution than this.

--

Michael