Hi Tim,
I was expecting someone else to reply but no-one has so I'll tell you
what I know...

The documentation is within SlimServer, in the web interface select
Technical Documentation then Button Mapping
This covers the holding time length question.

I think to add commands for a specific plugin you add a section
[Plugin.<Pluginname>]
The plugin name is, I think, by default the name of the Perl module the
plugin lives in.
For example Random Mix would be
[PLUGIN.RandomPlay::Plugin]

I don't think the documentation is great ( the "More to come..." at the
end of the page has been there as long as I can remember)and this is not
discussed on the wiki at all.
Perhaps a good topic to add, and everyone can contribute their favourite
custom IR map commands?

James