I just wanted to post an update for other people searching on this
particular problem or something similar.

I followed James's instructions and did the following
- Disabled automatic scanning through the Server Settings options by
changing the time counter to 0.
- Using the "Rescan Music Library" option I have enabled it so that it
runs that at 10 AM.

Things seem to be working ok.  Perl is not hammering my system and I
have played a few tracks.  More udpates to follow.

James :

-  I am not sure about one of the choices in James's "iTunesupdate
plugin".  It says, I can do a Direct Update, I have set up my SServer
to come up automatically on a reboot, do I have to enable this or not?

Thanks,
Gov

--
govardha