pasodoble Wrote:
> Sorrysorrysorry! I should have been a lot clearer. I meant a portable
> FORMAT. Like MP3. Whatever does the recording will need to sit
> alongside/over-under the SB and be remote-controllable.

Ok.  Well, I'm still not clear on exactly what you're trying to do.
You mention wanting a format, but then you also seem to make mention
that you want some sort of hardware device ("...will need to sit
alongside/over-under the SB and be remote-controllable.").  I'm
guessing you want to set up a sort of tivo-like setup for your audio?

With respect to the formats:  mp3 is obviously going to be the most
portable.  Virtually anything that can play audio will be able to play
mp3.  If you need higher quality than what mp3 offers then wma
lossless, alac, or flac are probably going to be high on your list.
wma,  aac, shorten, ogg vorbis, ape, aiff, and wav are some others that
you could consider and each offers it's pros and cons.  But I have a
feeling that the format discussion is something of a moot point because
I don't think you're going to find a piece of hardware that does what
you're wanting to do...

But anyhow, with respect to the hardware:  I guess you want to be able
to record anything that your SB is playing?  There are devices and
software designed to have your computer do scheduled recording of
internet radio and streaming audio (for instance, I use Total Recorder
to record my favorite NPR programs) but I don't know of any
freestanding piece of hardware that can do what you're looking for
(well, outside of those controversial XM radio gadgets--but they're
only for XM radio and the recorded audio is locked to the device).  You
could obviously just get a remote-controllable CD recorder, but I've
never heard of any audio device that will do time-shifting like a tivo
does (playback or pause of the same file that is currently being
recorded).

--
azinck3