Some thoughts:
To get performance you probably wants to read the POPm ratings  in the
scan process and store them in slimserver database or some other
datasource, if you read them when browsing tracks I suspect the
performance will not be good enough.

There is a non implemented feature request on TrackStat to read ratings
for a custom tag. If I ever decide to implement this it might be
possible to configure this also read ratings from the POPm field. If
TrackStat only supports this it will be read only, it will never update
the tag.

I think I would prefer that it was possible to turn off the write back
to the POPm tag. The reason is that I don't want slimserver to write to
my music files to minimize the risk that something happens corrupts the
whole file.

Volition Wrote:
> Of course it would be nice to then write something which uses something
> like a trackstat to update the file.You can hook into TrackStat by
> implementing the function
setTrackStatRating in your own plugin, it will be called whenever the
user changes a rating in TrackStat. Your implementation will just have
to write the new ratings to the tag in the file. See readme.txt
delivered with TrackStat for more details and an example.

Volition Wrote:
> How can i also recommend this to the developers of the software.

One way is to post it to the forum as you just have done, but you might
also want to register it as a fetures request on
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

I think the fastest way to actually get something up and running is
that you try to implement it yourself and ask any questions in the
forum. If you never have implemented a plugin before you can take the
code from some of the existing plugins and rename it and change it to
your needs.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson