I think your pre7 was patched as plain pre7 could not play live BBC
stations without the dreaded "garbled" bug.

pre8 has the "bandwidth" option and a number of other fixes which are
useful besides the fixing the "garbled" audio - so i think it would be
better to use pre8 as it is a complete tarball unlike your pre7 which
has some additional patches.

I'm surprised at the compile problems as I found it very clean on a
number of Linux systems. First try a configure without any options to
ensure it can do a vanilla build. Mplayer does not have a true
autoconfigure - if you disable some options it can stop compilation.

The only reason for multiple restart of mplayer is that it can't
communicate with destination.  Does mplayer work standalone on that
system ?  If there is no sound card change the /dev/fd/3 to /dev/null

--
bpa