I don't think you will be able to sync without the sync logic that is
currently present. For remote streams, for example, the synchronization
enforces proxying and you probably don't want to do that several times.
Also, with Sync technically only one player (on the LMS side) is playing
and the others just get synced to it so you can't start playing
something else on a single player without affecting the others.

I kind of like the idea of automatically syncing players playing the
same radio station (I don't think it would work for anything else) but
if you say "identified by URL" the problems already start because two
players playing the same stations might get two different URLs, be it
due to load balancing or different codec support.

I also think you are going down a usability rabbit hole.
How do you distinguish (in your scenario) between hard- and smart synced
players, are you sure a user will always know which state a player is
in.
In my experience that's generally the biggest issue with syncing:
unexpected things happening because users have set something up they
were not aware of.

If you want easier sync setup use something like sync options (there
were also some more plugins for that) but don't make it even more
complicated than it already is.
The reason Sonos' sync works better for users is that it's simpler: two
players are either synced - the they play together - or they are not -
then they play alone. There is no additional "power" mode, no
hierarchical grouping no nothing. It's very simple so users understand
it and they understand what state their players are in.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*