Yes. It happens with my LMS playlists but also when I just choose an
album/playlist from Spotify.

The log file snippet you mention imho comes from a call to display a saved playlist, NOT the currently playing list of songs. Is this correct?

Would the artwork be shown when the playlist is being played, eg. in the right hand side panel of the web UI?

You should probably elaborate on the "I have a couple of custom apps that need to access the artwork". What kind of apps? And how would they try to access the artwork? As pippin said, the artwork is not stored with the playlist and would need to be evaluated whenever the track is being used.

--

Michael