Has anyone started work on using Google AIY Voice Kit (voice control as
a basic Google Home) to control LMS?

There is a Raspberry Pi HAT board and supporting software that was given
away with the May issue of "The MagPi" magazine.
One piece of good news is that most of the software does not rely on the
Google board being used.
In theory it can work with any Linux supported Mic and sound output
(e.g. local analogue or HDMI).

The local capabilities do not have the "intelligence" to semantically
understand a spoken sentence but it does a good job to Voice-to-text.

I wrote some code to make it control some Pimoroni lights and can see
how it could readily perform tasks like
select player X
Pause
Play
Play Favorite Y
Play Artist Z

I know that there is great work being done by meep on getting things to
work with Amazon Echo Alexa and I know from personal experience that
this works with an emulated Alexa on RPi. However, it does require a
cloud service.
The potential is there with Google Voice Kit to do it all locally I
think (and/or use Google voice service in cloud).

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com