Thanks Roland,

I was mainly just trying to rule out any obvious known bugs before I
started again on fault finding.

So, I've started from scratch with a fresh Pi B+, no DACs etc and a new
version of PiCorePlayer 3.2 - no other modifications and the same
happens again. Pi goes sluggish, playback skips (but CPU/Memory loads
aren't high at all). It get's much worse with sync'd players of any
sort. Slightly better with low res files and much worse with high res.

So, I fired up my older windows server and it seems much better - and
works with sync'ing.

I can only think that means it's the Vortexbox server I'm running...
it's a pretty stock new Vortexbox install with no real mods, running on
a Intel Centrino vpro V2 with 2GB ram.

Wipe that server, install a fresh AMD64 Debian Server core install and
load up the latest LMS on top...

Same behaviour!

I've tried different versions of Squeezelite/hardware etc but nothing
other than switching to the windows server makes any difference.

Is it possible the Linux laptop is somehow incompatible with LMS? Any
ideas what I'm missing here?