After making the plug-in, FreeBSD users would have to know to install
the additional repo: http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/repo.xml to get
the 'right' spotty for them, correct? I didn't know that existed until 5
minutes ago...

No. It could be an additional plugin in the main list called "Spotty helper application for FreeBSD (only!)". It wouldn't do anything but add the binary to LMS' search path.

In short, will the experience actually be better than just replacing the
spotty binary?

Yes. Whenever there was an update, it would automatically put in the right place. And discovery of the file is much easier. Other FreeBSD users would be able to install it without asking here ;-).

But, if there is a perfectly good reason, I would be willing to see if
this is something I could sustain for all the spotty releases to come.

I'll send you a plugin template later today/tomorrow.

--

Michael