Everything works fine on my ordinary computer, a Macbook Pro with the
latest Sierra, 7.9.1 and Spotty 1.3.3.
Is there a encoder I'm missing somewhere? Or does this have to do with
Perl versions?

Could this be a similar issue to what htctyo is experiencing, with the
"pop" sounds? When I start a song through Spotty my Squeezebox does give
a "pop", as if the speakers are coming on, but then nothing...