Which makes it a little difficult to spot which getMetadataFor (175)
triggers an update on Jive. Currently the Jive clients sometimes update
in the middle of a song and I see many 171, 145, 175 sequences.
Should getMetadataFor (175) trigger the update on Jive?

It's a little more complicated: getMetadataFor is being called whenever a device wants to get the latest information. It's not what is triggering the update per se. That said it does set a timer for the end of a track to tell the devices to go fetch the latest data. The web UI otoh (and probably some of the mobile apps out there) do actively poll the server every few seconds. That's likely why it's more accurate for those users where the players fail. And it's why I ask people to not use the web UI while debugging the issue, as it creates a lot of noise in the log files.

To make things more complicated the play times in the metadata I receive sometimes are in full seconds only, sometimes in milliseconds. Therefore the fuzzy "not sure I'm in the right place" log message :-).

So... right now I have no clue why the metadata update would fail so badly for some of you. I've had two players play RP all day long yesterday. One piCorePlayer played for about 15h straight, the Radio I stopped every now and then. Yet I didn't see a missed metadata update.

--

Michael