jt25741;165625 Wrote:
> Hi Greg, I saw this post a while ago and was wondering about this
> integration work with Yahoo LaunchCast.   Have you decided to give it a
> shot?   I certainly hope so and would totally appreciate this ability to
> play LaunchCast.    I am a LaunchCast Plus subscriber(no commercials),
> with rather eclectic tastes.    Of the services I have sampled, Yahoo
> LaunchCast has a rather deep collection(comparitively, much larger than
> Yahoo Music Unlimmited download service).   What is particularly
> appealing to me is that if you use the Yahoo Jukebox(aka Music Engine),
> the streaming quality is unmatched across the library(I think ~190Kbps).
> Plus it is economical at < $3 month.
>
> If you use the web interface for LaunchCast, even for subscribers, the
> quality drops to a lower streaming rate(sounds like around 128Kb, but
> unsure exactly).
>
> A key feature for me would be to get this higher--fidelity stream
> authenticated through a plugin of somekind, and streaming through the
> SB.   Then, a plus would be to integrate the browse buttom with the
> station playlists, defaulting perhaps to the personal-station.

I pretty must tabled any further work until I had proof that it's even
possible.  The big thing I'm worried about is some sort of DRM
protection that would prohibit a foreign plugin without some possibly
illegal hacking.  I did a quick google search a few weeks ago and
didn't find any new information on how Launchcast works under the
covers.  I'm also not familiar with the Jukebox player vs the web one
and am surprised it offers a better bitrate.  The broadband I pay for
at my office includes LauchCast Plus @128 via the web, I'm not sure if
it also includes the Jukebox player.

I really like LaunchCast's selection/quality and rating system and
would love to develop a plugin, it's just I need some sort of guidance
as to how it works.  Otherwise I'll have to crawl through tons of
javascript (hopefully they dont have any activeX/Java components)
and/or run a packet sniffer.  Not fun.  I contemplated doing this, but
I don't want to put forth all that effort just to find out the stuff is
protected by some DRM.

grimholtz;165631 Wrote:
> I, too, am a LaunchCast Plus subscriber and have been for some years. I
> also subscribe to Pandora and I must say that, even though I enjoy
> Pandora, LaunchCast Plus is even more amazing.
>
> I never had the time to do the research for GoCubs that I said I would
> do. Sorry about that.

Yeah!  I was waiting on you :)

If someone wants to do this research I'll work on the plugin, until
then I guess I'll stick with Sirius for my streaming needs!

-Greg

--
GoCubs