Hi Siduhe - thanks for your continuing interest!  Here are some answers
to your Qs, and some results:

I have the music and playlist folders on the same drive (in the PC -
not networked or external) that SS and MIP run on.  They're in two
separate folders - C:\Our Music, and C:\Our Playlists.  (I've just had
a thought - are SS or MIP twitchy about folder names with spaces in
them?  Time for another test!)

Both folders are in the MIP 'Watch Folders' preferences (no other
folders are referenced there).

I emptied the playlist folder, as you suggested...

Now the experiments:

I placed the above paths in the appropriate Music Folder and Playlist
Folder settings in SS, and then stopped SS, deleted the Cache, and
restarted SS, which did the automatic rescan.  Result: No duplicates;
but many tracks and whole albums that MIP showed as mixable were not
marked (mm) in SS.

I then removed the path from the Music Folder setting in SS, leaving it
blank.  Did a 'Clear and Rescan'.  Result:  all albums and tracks now
correctly displayed in SS (no dulplicates;  all mixable).

Next, I created and saved a test playlist containing one track, into
the empty playlists folder.  Did a 'Clear and Rescan'.  Result:  no
duplicates, not even of the single track in the test playlist.  Bingo!

Well, a bit.  Your suggestion for playlists is successful, and I can
now go back to Fishbone Tan (Great!)

There is still an issue about setting the music folder in SS, which you
say works for you and others, and clearly doesn't for me.  Wouldn't it
be nice to understand why?!  But we also need to get a life.  Many
thanks for all your help - and for converting me to MIP!  I hope the
record of this bit of troubleshooting will help others.

Best wishes

--
Diana

--