Man in a van wrote:
> The question is, I guess, do the manufacturers of these IP Streaming
> Devices, who are, I presume, the vendors referred to here by bpa
>

> pay any sort of fee/license for the feed, or is it supplied gratis by
> the BBC?
>
> I wonder if a "Freedom of information Act" enquiry would reap any
> benefit?

I think no action is best for a while as anything may antagonise.

As an example of the power vendors have.  About 2 years ago a few
vendors had smart TV with BBC iPlayer capability. The TV got the info
from a feed the BBC provided. Unilaterally BBC changed the feed and many
user of these smart TV suddenly lost that capability - TV from Sony ,
Samsung etc - customer complained but got no satisfaction from either
vendor nor BBC. See
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/BBC-iPlayer-witholding-service/td-p/262556

Now BBC certifies TVs ( see
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/Sony )  which I presume
means there is a legal contract between vendors and BBC for iPlayer.
Vendors have to provide upgrades when BBC changes but some TV just can't
be upgraded.

There were far more TV users than LMS users affected by this move.