I'd been suffering intermittent dropouts listening to BBC streams using
Alien and living with it, since I couldn;t work our what the problem
was, it certainly wasn't the network. After setting up a MythTV box I
discovered that increasing PCI latency timing really helped MythTV (and
doesn't MythTV rock!!!!). Did the same to my Slimserver box and bingo -
no dropouts. I use Linux and this can be done easily with the setpci
command. I played about with this and then set the timings in the bios
- if your motherboard allows this its easy.

Might be worth a try if you are having similar hard to diagnose dropout
problems. More info here
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html

--
chuckiebear

--
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 Debian Testing