castalla wrote:
> Posting here as I've lost track of the various threads.
I have a 1.6.1 cosmetic update due and I hope to start a new thread and
would like to get all other locked out.  This should at least make less
confusing.

This 404 thead was really only for the 404 error.

> I notice that since the intro of 1.6 that LIVE streams take upto 30
> secs. to start playing ... I have the default settings of 15 sec. and
> 255 buffer fullness.
I have found the delays are really only needed for some configurations
of Windows based LMS.  Is you LMS windows based and if so what
spec./configuration

> While listening to Radio 4, I noticed a brief display change between
> programmes which showed the track info as Radio 4 - 1 minute delay
> before the gui switched to the actual data
Because Windows sytem needed a long delay to start up  - the code to
detect "skip back" thinks you have skipped back 1 min  (it estimates
delay from packet timecode vs player output & decode buffer fullness -
not accurate)  but as stream plays, if not skipped back , the player
buffers fullness decreases and so delay is nto apparent. "actual data"
is obtained from 2 spearate feeds which are polled every 30 secs  - if
there are delays on it (e.g. network problems) then there will be a
delay in displaying metadata - so perhaps two problems conflated.

> Info from log:
>
> [18-09-28 10:13:37.0520] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::DASH::__ANON__ (797)
> Retrying after error fetching [240331624] Status=596 Reason: Connection
> timed out Fetch time 32012 ms
> [18-09-28 10:15:14.0812] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::DASH::__ANON__ (779) Chunk
> fetch status 200 Long chunk fetch time 8118   800
> [18-09-28 10:15:14.4657] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::DASH::__ANON__ (779) Chunk
> fetch status 200 Long chunk fetch time 1981   800
> [18-09-28 10:15:45.8545] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::DASH::__ANON__ (779) Chunk
> fetch status 200 Long chunk fetch time 1456   800

All these indicate that the BBC servers are slow in respondign - which
varying between no reply (30 sec timeout)  to 8sec - 1.5 secs delays -
expected delay would 80-150ms.  Report are only made for packet slower
than 800ms - a high bar but enough to highlight a prohblem. The player
should not be upset by these as long as they do not happen too often.

Basically
1. You can do nothing about BBC delays unless your ISP connection or
setup  is "special" and are using something like a VPN, proxy server,
aggressive security software, repeaters, barbed wire, satellite link or
perhaps special system setup which could affect networks such as a VM.
2. If you do not have a WIndows sytem then startup "delay" need to be
looked at.  If you have a Windows LMS system especially 8 or 10 then I
cannot investigate until I need to get a Windows 10 system.