I enabled Spotify Connect in player settings, unticked the "Don't

That certainly doesn't make any positive difference for playback issues when controlling though LMS anyway...

announce players" box in plug-in settings, and enabled the "Optimized
Pre-buffering" feature. As a result the playback performance improved
remarkably; gaps between tracks disappeared almost completely, and
during approx. 5 hours of play a song has become 'stuck' at the end only
twice.

What kind of player are you using?

Oddly enough, now that I took another look at plug-in settings, I
noticed the "Don't announce players" box has its tick back, and I'm 100%
sure I didn't put it there. Huh.

Did you read the info for this option? It will automatically be set if the daemon crashes repeatedly.

--

Michael