bpa wrote:
> Just to inform those who like looking at the underpinning of BBC web
> stuff and in case it is needed in future.

Thank you for this, very helpful.

While the 'programmes/xxx.json' url(s) does seem to give much more
programme information, it does not tell us which of the versions are
available for playback, in contrast to the 'playlist.json'. So, on the
face of it, use of this "more fundamental" url would seem to require a
few more web fetches to get to where we want to be. So, from that point
of view, I'd say you have made the right choice in the context of the
BBC iPlayer plugin.

I am reading "canonical" as meaning that the particular version is the
"reference" version, whereas others are derived from it in some way. I
form this, somewhat vaguely constructed, view from the latest episode
(m00021q7) of the In Our Time series:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00021q7.

Here we have two broadcasts, the full length 9.00am broadcast
("canonical" & "original", m00021q6), and a shortened version at 9.30pm
(m00021rp).  And, in addition to that, a podcast version (p06y7rkb).
Only the podcast version is being made available for playback, which is
what kicked off this recent set of discussions.

I haven't yet encountered a "web only programme", as I primarily use the
iPlayer schedule based browser, which only includes programmes that have
been broadcast. So I don't know how they work.