Thanks, Erland.  I had done a full rescan, but not a clear in Custom
Scan.  I've now done "Clear All", followed by another "Clear library and
rescan everything", and now my classical library albums are back to
single entries.

"Duplicate entries in Custom Scan song data" have reduced from 222523 to
242, as it's still indicating that four of my (non-classical) albums
have a duplicate ARTIST value in mixedtag for each track...?

Given your comments, I appreciate you taking time to respond to my
issue, so thanks again!

LMS 7.7.2/FLAC/MP3 on QNAP TS-112P > Wired to Touch, via Devolo dLAN 650
powerline adapters > Oppo UDP-205 (coax)/Arcam AVR350 (analogue)