I have the same problem.

Please let's not mix things up. Let's first see what is going on before we come to conclusions about what problems there are. Because the first reported problem is not about clicks, but total plugin failure.

From a few days ago as soon as my system
updated to 2.8.0 I only hears clicks - I tried following
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110455-Announce-Spotty-2-8-x-Spotify-Connect-for-your-Squeezebox&p=938306&viewfull=1#post938306)
but that didn't work.

If you can navigate the Spotty menus, then you got a different issue than the original poster. If that's the case, then try to disable Spotty -> OGG streaming (Settings/Advanced/File Formats).

If that still does not help, then please try the updated link I gave in https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110455-Announce-Spotty-2-8-x-Spotify-Connect-for-your-Squeezebox&p=938370&viewfull=1#post938370. Thanks!

--

Michael