Was jokingly talking about using the various SB Booms distributed in the
kid's bedrooms for exactly this the other day, and then a quick search
for "intercom" on the forums found this.

Has anyone looked at implementing something similar (acknowledging the
script is over 14 years old now) ?

Was looking for any plugins/code that could be invoked possibly by a
menu selection on SB Web Gui or SqueezePad interface to play one of a
selection of messages.
Interrupting current playlist, or turning Boom on then off would be
super.

Haven't played with the linked script yet, as I'm not sure how I'd
invoke the script.

Cheers.