I seem to miss a place where I can see what goes on in developing
squeezeserver itself. Are there any plans/roadmaps? Any "official"
releases pending/happening

Probably the wrong place to ask/answer, but anyway:

- plans/roadmaps? No. I got a bucket list of which I pick a feature every now and then, but that's it.

- official as in what? Community official (like 7.9.1)? Logitech official? (that would be a No) Synology official? Who knows?

I know I can read through git commits, but often they are too technical
to tell me what exactly the reasoning/user level change/plan is behind
the commit. I didn't found anything like that in the other forums here
either.

This probably because most recent changes were minor tweaks and bug fixes to the core functionality. No new features.

There's also https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98711, which links to slightly more human readable changelogs. I don't always updated them, but do so if I think I changed something noteworthy.

--

Michael