wt0 wrote:
> Every app that plays audio has to "start" an audio session.
>
> Audio is fed into the system using something called an AudioTrack. Every
> AudioTrack has a unique id called an Audio Session ID. If you know a
> track's Audio Session ID, then you can apply effects to it. Audio
> Session ID's are not fixed, a new one is generated every time you create
> a new AudioTrack.
>
> It used to be that you can use an Audio Session ID of 0 to apply effects
> to the global sound mix, but that is no longer possible in newer
> versions of Android.
>
> If a player app just uses the system's built-in media player to play
> audio then an equalizer app could just ask the system for the audio
> session id the media player is using.
>
> For the purposes of SB Player it cannot just use the built-in media
> player, so an equalizer will have to retrieve the Audio Session ID from
> SB Player. Unfortunately there's no standardized way of exposing an ID
> to other apps, so I'd would have to create a way to do that and the
> equalizer app would be a specifically support it.
>
> Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation. It's a pity that Android made that change.
It sounds difficult and probably not worthwhile. I'll get used to the
lack of EQ. It was nice because I used one that let me make home screen
widgets for different EQ profiles, so I could easily choose one for this
car, that car, bluetooth earbuds, the bluetooth speaker, etc. It was a
good run.