thouky wrote:
> It sounds like you are attempting to run the Scriptable script directly
> from Siri, instead of using the Shortcuts app to request input.
> Unfortunately that does not work (unless you also set *Always Run in
> App*, but that breaks the Siri experience); see
> https://talk.automators.fm/t/dictation-from-siri/3617.
>
> Instead of using the *Add to Siri* within Scriptable you need to install
> or create a shortcut within the Shortcuts app that acts as an
> intermediary to act for the dictation. Step 2 of the installation
> instructions on https://github.com/thoukydides/siri-squeezebox-control
> is to install:
> https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/4b66dc7c872747d48228d204e58c8021
>
> If you used the *Add to Siri* option within Scriptable before installing
> the Shortcut then that will have created a shortcut that just runs the
> Scriptable script. If you then installed the proper Shortcut then the
> name would have clashed, so the app would have renamed it automatically
> to be unique. In this case you will need to
> _delete_the_wrong_shortcut_and_rename_(or_reinstall)_the_correct_one_.
>
> If you still can’t get it to work then try running the Scriptable script
> directly within its app, and the shortcut directly within the Shortcuts
> app. Both of these should work, albeit without the benefits of Siri.

Thank you - got it now.  I thought I'd followed the steps, but at one
point my phone told me that it couldn't install the shortcut because
it's from an untrusted source - but it seemed to skip past that when I
clicked 'Add to Siri'.  That was clearly the wrong thing to do.

In their infinite wisdom Apple don't let you see the option to allow
untrusted shortcuts until you first install and run a shortcut from
their gallery.  I'm slow to criticise Apple, but that's just dumb,
sorry.

So after allowing untrusted shortcuts, I was able to complete the
installation as intended.  It's working well now.  Siri is struggling to
understand me at the moment because a cold virus this week has robbed me
of my voice!  But I've managed to make it do a few things, and am
looking forward to doing more when my voice returns.

@Michael - a couple of times Siri has repeated the word 'Squeezebox'
back to me, and she says it 'Squeezerbox'.  Maybe she'll understand you
better if you say that!