erland;187348 Wrote:
> Maybe a plugin similar to SaverSwitcher that could change screen saver
> based on some external critera would solve this. In this way it would
> be possible to use the TimeSpeller plugin mostly but when the external
> criteria was trigged it could change to use the "Alarm Announcement
> plugin". The "Alarm Announcment plugin" would be a new screen saver
> that displayed configuable configurable text during a specified time
> interval. For example you would configure it to say "Wifes Birthday" a
> specific day and "Christmas" between 24/12 - 26/12. The texts and
> intervals could be read from a text file to make to announcement plugin
> a bit simplier, instead of implementing a full blown configuration
> interface.

Might be time for a new thread on this...

SaverSwitcher could pretty easily support "conditional" loading of
screensavers. It could have a public API that this text reminder plugin
could call with code like

my $ssVersion = $Plugins::SaverSwitcher::Plugin::apiVersion;
if ( defined($ssVersion) && ($ssVersion >= 2) ) {
Plugins::SaverSwitcher::Public::registerPreUsageCheck($screensaverName,$coderef);
}

and before it activated a saver, it could call any registered $coderef
for that particular saver (passing something like $client) to see if it
should activate the saver, or skip to the next active saver. The
$coderef would simply return 1 (true, use this saver) or 0 (false,
nothing to announce, skip this saver).

You could, for instance, set this text reminder screensaver as active
for some number of seconds in some SaverSwitcher position and know that
it would only display text if it had something to communicate.

This sounds like a passive version of Felix Mueller's announcement
script. For announcements like that, would a screensaver be agressive
enough? I don't currently use a screensaver for "When Stopped" mode, so
I'd only notice the announcements when the closest Squeezebox was Off or
Playing music.

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade StatusFirst
VolumeLock