Ron F. wrote:
> This is interesting: my experience, using the version of
> ProtocolHandler.pm from yesterday, which I think is using HTTP/1.1 (?)
> is absolutely fantastic. I am going on 12 hours now without any issue
> whatsoever ... in fact I don't know if RP FLAC Interactive has EVER
> worked this well for me since it went live to begin with! This has been
> perfect all day. I have set the LMS Radio Station Buffer to 30 seconds
> and proxied streaming; I don't know if that makes any difference.
>
> I am confused as to how my experience could be so great, and Michael's
> so terrible at the same time? Very strange.
>
> I will pull the latest version of the handler now, and test with that.

I'm working on it, and it's probably due to a combination of your ISP
speed, DNS cache and route to RP servers and mainly my bad :). What
happens is that the connections were not persistent contrary to what I
thought and in your case and my case, the re-establishement is fast
enough so that the "chunking" method works. In the case of Michael, the
time is takes to re-establish the connection every times kills it.

Still, the good news seems to be that the approach solves the issue, so
I need to tweak it. So far, I've made the connections *really*
persistent so that's fine but for some reason, the RP server don't seem
to deliver on their commitments about how long the session persist, so
it has to be re-opened much more often that I would like to. Does not
matter for both of us, but might be really problematic for cases like
Michael.

Ideally, the chunk method would not be used if I could simply make it
continuous and re-open it where it fails when it fails. But I don't know
how to do that with LMS and the eventing system. Maybe somebody else
could give me a hint how to do that reasonably easily. I think the main
thing is to de-correlate the sysread of the protocol handler from the
actual data read, so that we can re-establish the connection when it
fails.

AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5