I just got this working nicely on my Raspberry Pi 4. It means I can cast
to a Chromecast Audio, which is plugged into the Pi server, and it can
appear by magic on any Squeezebox. Cool!

To help others that may be as clueless as I was about this kind of
thing:

1 - get a compatible USB sound card. Mine cost a few quid (under
three!), uses the bcm2835 chipset as it's fully plug and play.

2 - check in Alsa what everything is called. Useful commands:
arecord -l (that's a small L) lists capture devices. Mine was card 1,
device 0
arecord -D plughw:1 --duration=10 -f cd -vv ~/rectest.wav (run from your
home directory) records 10s of audio, usefully showing a recording level
meter even when you're in the terminal remotely. The plughw:1 needs to
match the card number from arecord

3 - while faffing I added the SB user to the audio group. I don't know
if this is necessary or not. sudo usermod -a -G audio squeezeboxserver

4 - the favourite that you need to set up is simply wavin:plughw:1,
where again it matches that card number.

Took me under an hour to install SBS on a Pi 4 and get this working,
which I'm quite pleased about. I never got the WaveInput working on
Windows, although I'd decided to move back to the Pi as Windows 10 is
just awful for servers.

PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3